Monday 19 December 2011

The Eighth Day of Awesome: Books lol

HELLO I’M DOING SOMETHING COMPLETELY UNREMARKABLE FOR MY 100TH POST HOW ARE YOU?

On the eighth day of awesome, this here wiz presents:
Eight books for reading
Seven things to do
Six cakes a-baking
Fiiiiivee videee-ooooosss…
Four epic mounts
Three cool things
Two festive poems
and a post excusing her absence…

Whoa, the list is getting kind of long now. This is exciting. Today, however, I am going to keep a promise – look this is a post about books! – and also break one. This is another list. Sorry! :( I’ve been busy. But it’s all good fun,  no?

(I’m going to point out here and now that some of the books I’m mentioning are definitely not E for Everyone, but, well, if you are under, say… twelve, and reading my blog, then a) HI! How are you? Do you like cake? Yeah, me too! Friends? Friends. and b) Um, go look at Emma’s awesome hundredth post. It’s cool, and there’s a massive cake in it! Byeee!)

So… Let’s start with the obvious and work up to near-obscurity. My favourite books:

1) Harry Potter. (our queen, JKR) What, you thought I wasn’t going to mention this now that all the films and books are done? Ha, there’s still a teensy weensy chance that perhaps point three of a person out there hasn’t read this series. If that’s you, then I am not even joking when I say tell me your address and I will send the whole series to you. It’s necessary.

2) Percy Jackson. (Rick “TROLL” Riordan) Yes, I know, I’m still in the obvious range here. But these books are so good. AND there’s the new series, Heroes of Olympus, which is totally worth checking out, if you like PJaTO, which you should. (I was not, however, impressed with the film. Dear, dear me. How much of the book did they read?)

3) The Kane Chronicles. Basically, ditto.

4) The Hunger Games. (Suzanne Collins) (I’m getting there, alright!) Yes, you need to read it before the movie comes out. You must. You must. Jump to it! I really respect Suzanne Collins for not just marketing it as another Twilight, because the politics, warfare, and action are so much better than a pretty dull love triangle that I have zero interest in.

5) The Chronicles of Narnia. (C.S. Lewis) Another very British thing, but I have much love for Narnia. And the movies. Ahh, the movies. The best film adaptations of a book series I have ever witnessed, honestly. I’d recommend reading them in publishing order, though – you appreciate the ‘first’ one more with a better understanding of the series.

6) A Series of Unfortunate Events. (Lemony Snicket) It is possible you might have read these. They came out a long time ago, but this was one of those series that I read avidly from the ages of eight to twelve, right up to having reading races with another boy in my class at the time. (I won all of them. Ha.)

7) Alex Rider. (Anthony Horowitz) I’m gonna bet that not all of you have heard of this one – I think it’s bigger here than it is in the US, like PJaTO is bigger in the US, and I’m not going anywhere with this sentence. Brief (ten-word) synopsis: teenage spy saves the world many times in nine books. Nine really, really incredible books. They’re not only exciting and fast-paced, but also mega-interesting because Horowitz has packed a ton of information about stuff – from nuclear reactors to mining to bull fights – all the way through the series. And they are so good. Every single one. (Don’t bother with the film version of Stormbreaker, though. It’s a bit iffy.)

8) Pretty much anything written by John Green. I must say I have a particular soft spot for An Abundance of Katherines – but a warning to you defiant younger readers (Emma’s post is still waiting…) – this is where the warnings kick in. And out in January is The Fault in Our Stars, which is looking pretty awesome from the first two chapters that have materialized online… DFTBA.

….Annnnnnnnnnd that is all for now, so

Diviner OUT! (for the hundredth time eeeeee!)

3 comments:

  1. I've wanted to read A Series of Unfortunate Events for a LOOOOOOOOOONNNG time.
    Not to mention I'm bookless right now so, yay!

    Plus, I agree with every other book.
    I think any other books/series that are AMAZING are:
    one) any wizard101 fan-fic (observably)
    two) The Shamer Chronicles (by some Irish guy). I've read them five times (series of four books) and I have to say they are as good as The Hunger Games and Harry Potter COMBINED!! Books must be good if you can read them again and again (like Chronicles of Narnia).

    And congrats on YOUR hundredth post!!
    (And if your blogversary is in February I'm gonna FREAK OUT!!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I FOUND IT!
    First post was December 13 of 2009.
    So, you've missed, um.... two blogversaries?
    At least I don't remember you posting about them, did you ever? If you didn't now we're forgetting-blogversary buddies too.

    ...

    RANDOMNESS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex (is still too lazy to log in)20 December 2011 at 10:12

    YAY, we're like super-duper-triple buddies. And I ALWAYS forget about blogaversaries. I probably will next year as well, unless I decided to schedule a post to post on that day next year, which would be embarrassing if I like, randomly disappeared before then or something.

    Ooh, Shamer Chronicles... I'll be on the look out for them. :D

    ReplyDelete

Oh, are you going to comment? That's great! Go on! Don't let me distract you. Just type away...